Unit 38 Evaluation

Evaluation

In this assignment I've overcame serious barriers as well as trying my hardest to stick to my original idea without making major changes. As said in the proposal, my task was to re-dub 2 scenes from a movie of my choice. My choices were, Fast & Furious 8 and Kingsman where I had to completely remove every source of sound, to replace with my own sounds including foley and already made sounds that were locatable on the internet.

Fast & Furious 8: The Fate of The Furious
The first re-dub completed was the Fast & Furious movie. The scene starts off with The Rock punching the wall multiple times. As I couldn't find a relatable sound via FreeSound.org, I decided to make my own Foley sound. The way I created the sound was by banging the table in unison with the visual moving picture so that it doesn't come out of sync. As well as just recording the punches, in the original scene you can also hear The Rock breathing hard. I also recorded myself breathing whilst banging the table. Other uses of Foley sound within my project included moving a table, and using my palm on a table to resemble footsteps coming from running guards. During this 1st project, Foley sounds showed me how important it is within movies. If it isn't originally made by the producer, then the production wouldn't have an ordinary feel.

As this scene was set in a prison, I wanted to give it that prison setting by adding some ambient sound. As I couldn't make a foley sound out of this, I relied on the website that my recommended me and the class. Freesound.org has thousands of sounds that are obtainable for free. I was able to get a few sounds from there that made my project come to life as well as being realistic as hell. I got sounds such as a mob chanting; to represent the inmates fighting in the background of the scene, an electrocuting sound; to represent the sound of the taser that got used against an officer, also a heavy metallic door opening which resembles the cell door/s opening. If it wasn't for freesound.org, I probably wouldn't have produced a near-enough quality production to present as my final edit.

My target for this project was to make every sound dubbed in sound realistic and I honestly think that I've done the most that I could possibly do on this 1st project and I'm quite glad with the progress, however, there is only one set back and let down on this project. When the fight was outbreaking between the inmates and the main characters, punches and kicks were visible in the scene. Normally in movies, producers would create and dub in a punch/kick sound into the scene, where it normally causes excitement and adrenaline from the audience. As I included diegetic music in the scene, I found it unnecessary at the time to add in the physical hits in the scene. I found them too many to add and it would have been too complex to recreate a sound resembling a punch/kick.

After playing back the whole project to myself, I thought hard on what I could have done better and what I missed out completely. Everything dubbed in was great in my opinion, but the only flaw was not adding in the punch and kicks into the scene. I call it a sign of laziness and no producer within the media industry will make it far being lazy.

Kingsman: The Secret Service
Kingsman was the 2nd re-dub project I was working on, which was mainly based around on the music. The scene is set in a bar where Eggsy and Harry are speaking with each other whilst having a drink. It's just them two in the bar along with the bartender with no ambient noise other than the diegetic music in the background and the dialogue between Harry & Eggsy. First of all I replaced the the voice over using my own voice. This wasn't really an easy task as I found chunky lines harder to read whilst recording. At the same time as recording the lines I always found my self being too ahead or behind the actor as I was looking at the sheet more time than the computer. At the end of the production, I knew that I recorded the voiceover to a near-enough professional quality as I didn't record it in one take, I recorded it in one go to help me achieve a higher grade with my final submission. In my original plan with the voice over, my original intention was to record with my phone but the quality wasn't matching the standard I was hoping. My phone was peak up too much of the higher frequencies in the room (219) and you could hear the fuzz in the background, every time I went to talk. I had to revert back to the contingency plan which was to use the MacBook's mic to record. Having a contingency plan about what mic to use really worked and at the end of recording with the Macbook I came out with crystal-clear, real life sound quality. The down side of the recording I would say is that using myself as all the characters didn't sound too realistic enough as you can hear the same timbre in my voice when I change my voice to some one else.

As the assignment required us to create one re-dub with voice over, and the other with music, I based this re-dub on voice over as well as music. In the original scene, there is diegetic orchestral music in the background which contains the strong use of brass and strings. In the opening seconds of the scene, the texture of the strings, piano and brass are played subtly, until we get to 46 seconds into the scene where the texture changes making the strings' texture thicker as the suspension rises. In the background, you can also hear a cello pizzicato that resembles a heart that is beating due to the tension caused in the scene.

I placed a calm piano piece at the beginning of the project to resemble the peaceful setting at the pub and joy between Eggsy & Harry. The piano piece used is called "Una Mattina" by Ludovico Einaudi which is a calm classic piano piece. The piece plays for 37 seconds until it fades out and changes into a dark piano and string based solo. The reason why the music changes from light and happy to dark and thick is because it let's the audience know that the mood and tension from the dialogue between Eggsy and Harry has changed. The suspenseful piano and string music plays for 47 seconds before a thicker string and horn section comes in signifying that trouble has finally come. The piece I found on YouTube is called "Pusher Music - Finisher Line". As the trouble makers start approaching Eggsy & Harry, the music starts to speed up which raises the tension for both the actors and the audience. The backing track continues till the end of the scene, whilst there's another source of thick string content. I also pulled the sound from Youtube, which was called "Essentials Sound". I placed this sound in three different places of the soundtrack. I placed the sound where Harry locked the doors at. This was effective as it made more tension and adrenaline created in the scene.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dubbing Workshop 2

Dubbing Workshop

Unit 31.3 Documentary Proposal