Proposal for Unit 38 Soundtrack

In this written proposal, I'm going to explain what I'm going to produce within my 2 re-dub projects for my final production. As of now I am writing this proposal on the 14th of March 2018 and the final due in date is the 29th of March 2018. As two projects are going to be made, 2 proposals are also going to be made for both of the productions.


Fast & Furious 8 - Proposal 1
So the first movie I've already chose is Fast & Furious 8, and I've chosen a scene within this movie that has a range of different sounds such as, background music, sound effects, and dialogue. The scene I chose is the jail scene which stars, Jason Statham and The Rock. The scene is 3 minutes 15 seconds long and I may have to cut it down if I have a lot of re-dubs added to my scene. The maximum amount of time I want to spend on this scene is 2 minutes, because a lot happens throughout the 3 mins of this scene.

The sounds that need replacing efficiently are dialogue between the actors and also the prisoners shouting as they run out from their cells. So far I have been searching for the script to the fast and furious movie, but have not reached my luck yet, so it looks like I have to either write the script from scratch or play back the scene second by second, before I record what I heard before I move on to the next set of seconds.

As this scene contains fighting and sound effects, I'm going to have to use foley sounds as I'm thinking of recreating a thud effect when the guards drop to the floor and also punching effects too. For the other sound effects I can't recreate, such as the electronic doors opening, I would have to rely on websites such as freesound.org, to help me replace the original sound to make the re-dub production fully mine. Music is also brought in as the big breakout happens between the guards and the prisoners, which I do believe that it was used to create tension and adrenaline. The music used was energetic and it had an upbeat tempo that describe the type of mood to be in to the audience as the fight was commencing. I'm feeling to use the same type of music because the scene is not meant to be tragic or sad. It's more of a humorous scene as guards and inmates are being chucked around and shot by rubber bullets. So I am basing my song choice on what is expressed on the visuals and the dialogue.

To record the dialogue in the scene, I'm going to use my phone which is a Galaxy S5 Neo. This phone was released back in July 2015 and we're in the era where technology in phones have advanced, whilst I'm using a phone that is 3 years old. The recording quality is "OK", but it is not the best. If my daily driver phone doesn't meet my requirements of clarity, then I will refer back to a Mac computer or a MacBook as they have superb recording quality. Speaking on the quality of the recording, I'm also going to be recording it in a confined room space, e.g rooms 219 & the radio room in college. The reason for this is because I don't want my recordings to have a natural reverb. If I want to add in reverb, I'll just add the effect using Logic Pro and/or Garage Band. Despite the fact that this scene is set in a prison space, voices being yelled in that environment would produce a natural reverb sound, so it's up to my preference to set the reverb effect (if I'm to use it) to an appropriate level.


Personnel
For personnel on this project, I'm set to do every role by myself as it saves me time on relying on people that would probably delay the process of making this soundtrack production;

Producer: Darris
Voice Actor: Darris
Sound FX Creator: Darris

With me doing every role in my production, my set target is to make my voices for each character to sound different to others, otherwise the whole sound production wouldn't be classified as a distinction grade work in my opinion.

Kingsman Secret Service - Proposal 2
The second scene I've decided to take a challenge on is the 1st bar scene fight in Kingsman. It is very similar to the first scene I've previously talked about, but there's additional sound elements such as glass smashing and suspenseful diegetic music. I'm going to re-dub the first 2 - 3 minutes of the scene as I find it more suitable for my needs to reach the distinction level. The next 2 minutes after the glass smash, a fight outbreaks. This would be an ideal time period for me to re-dub all the sound elements back into it's own place, but it would be way too tricky to get the sound effects in time or the right length. For example, the thudding from somebody dropping as well as punches too. These sound effects would be hard to recreate but if I were to do so, I would have to make sure that the sound length of the glass shattering and the punch hitting someone's face is 100% accurate and in-time with the visible image on screen. If I'm to add the glass shatter effect on there, I'll have to record it myself. The technique is called "Foley Sound" which benefits you to making the exact sound you want by recording the sound effect yourself. This would benefit my needs opposing to searching for a glass shatter effect, as I know how long the duration of the shatter is.

The scene starts with dialogue between Eggsy & Harry which is accompanied by diegetic music. As the conversation between Eggsy & Harry continues, the tension raises up between the two which then makes the diegetic music structure become thicker. I'm going to record the dialogue with the same device I'm going to use for my first re-dub.


As the scene is set in a bar, there 1is not much reverb going to be present. There are approximately 7 people in this scene and only 4 of them speak. I'm going to record myself doing their voice overs, but in different accents & tones. The main reason I'm doing all the voices by myself is because I believe to have the ability to adjust my voice to produce different timbres and accents. Also depending on people to help out on your assignment can drag out time and progress being made in my project. Time management is a big subject for me in these 2 projects, hence why I'm doing the production all by myself.

I'm going to record in the same room, 219 as it is a medium sized room and the scene that I'm redubbing doesn't have the actors' voices echoing off the walls. To recreate this project, I'm going to be using Logic/Garageband as I'm used to these two software editing tools and I should stick to deadline day as the time progresses on with replacing all the sounds in my soundtracks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dubbing Workshop 2

Dubbing Workshop

Unit 31.3 Documentary Proposal